The Sydney University Magazine was started by J. Sheridan Moore and Septimus Kindersley in April 1878. Kindersley withdrew from the partnership following the publication of the sixth issue in September 1878, after which Moore appears to have been sole proprietor. The magazine ceased publication following the issue of March 1879. Whilst the Sydney University Magazine was not published under the auspices of the University of Sydney as such, in a letter that appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald on 25 April, 1878, Moore claimed that the magazine had the approval of the University Senate, and the support of professorial staff and students. In his letter, Moore indicated that he saw the magazine having a similar relationship to the University of Sydney that the Dublin University Magazine had to Trinity College Dublin.