Introduction - Ann Curthoys and Ann McGrath
1. The poetics and practicalities of writing - Tom Griffiths
2. The Broken Years: Australian soldiers in the Great War, 1914-18 - Bill Gammage
3. Postmodernity and the release of the creative imagination - Donna Merwick
4. Writing from fragments - John Docker
5. Fantasy upon one note - Peter Read
6. Writing: praxis and performance - Greg Dening
7. Reflexivity and the self-line - Ann McGrath
8. Writing place - Deborah Bird Rose
9. The personal is historical: writing about the Freedom Ride of 1965 - Ann Curthoys
10. Gallery, museum and other exercises for writing history - Ann Curthoys and Ann McGrath
11. How to workshop your writing - Ann Curthoys and Ann McGrath
12. Writing histories: a reading guide and bibliography - Kate McCarthy.
Includes bibliographical references.