A series of interconnected modern stories, based around the legend of the labours of Hercules. The 'Hercules' was a character called Hector Cousins, who was aided by his intrepid butler Bartholomew Stubbins.
According to one contemporary newspaper report:
Hector Cousins, 'stagemanaged' by his brainy butler, Bartholomew Stubbins, is making a bold effort to perform the twelve tasks set him by his lady love, the classically-learned Eleanor Holmes. Is she wisely developing his manhood under the impulse of her love? Or is she foolishly throwing him into the arms of a rival? A newspaper girl has come on the scene to write up the 'Labours' and Eleanor begins to have her doubts as to the efficacy of her scheme. ('The Labours of Hercules', Northern Champion, 22 October 1938, p.2)
For a list of episodes and their airdates, see notes below. Not all the individual episode titles have been traced.
Despite being advertised as twelve labours and a prologue, the series ended on episode twelve, advertised as the 'final task', which would have been the eleventh labour.
List of episodes:
1. Prologue (3 October 1938)
2. The Hydra of Leona: The First Task (10 October 1938)
3. The Girdle of Hippolyta: The Second Task (17 October 1938)
4. [Title unknown]: The Third Task (25 October 1938)
5. The Stymphalion Birds: The Fourth Task (31 October 1938)
6. The Hind of Kerynel: The Fifth Task (7 November 1938)
7. The Apples of Hesperides: The Sixth Task (14 November 1938)
8. The Riddle of Cerberus: The Seventh Taskr (21 November 1938)
9. No Holiday for Hercules: The Eighth Task (28 November 1938)
10. The Augean Stables: The Ninth Task (5 December 1938)
11. The Cretan Bull: The Tenth Task (12 December 1938)
12. [Title unknown]: The Final Task (19 December 1938)
Broadcast in twelves episodes (a prologue and eleven labours) between 3 October and 26 December 1938.
Producer: Lawrence H. Cecil.