Fiction for young adults and children will be recognised in the 2012 Prime Minister’s Literary Awards. Individual award categories for Children's and Young Adult fiction sit alongside fiction, poetry, non-fiction and Australian history. Winners in each category receive $80,000 tax-free. Consolation prizes of $5000 go to all shortlisted writers.
This year, the shortlisted authors for the Young Adult Fiction category are:
- A Straight Line to My Heart, Bill Condon
- Being Here, Barry Jonsberg
- Pan’s Whisper, Sue Lawson
- When We Were Two, Robert Newton
- Alaska, Sue Saliba
The Children's Fiction contenders are:
- Evangeline, The Wish Keeper's Helper, Maggie Alderson
- The Jewel Fish of Karnak, Graeme Base
- Father's Day, Anne Brooksbank
- Come Down, Cat!, written by Sonya Hartnett and illustrated by Lucia Masciullo
- Goodnight, Mice!, written by Frances Watts and illustrated by Judy Watson
For those who want to follow the awards or add a comment, there is a Facebook page for the awards.