Contents indexed selectively.
Motto is "Nostri Farrago Libelli".
The Black Swan was published from 1917 to 1949. Until 1929, it was published three times a year but when the student newspaper Pelican began publishing student club news and such, The Black Swan became primarily a literary magazine and was published annually. From 1935, the editor was replaced by an editorial board with a chairman. The magazine took on a decidedly more historical, political and economic orientation. The Black Swan was not published during World War II but resumed in 1945. It's title changed to Black Swan. Leslie Rees states that 'The Black Swan undoubtedly helped to cradle a number of West Australian writers who later achieved a degree of national importance and fame for their literary and/or intellectual output.' (Artlook Vol 6 No. 10, p33)