The first edition of the Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate appeared on 3 April 1876. The result of a merger in 1876 between the Newcastle Chronicle and Hunter River District News (1858-1876) and the Miners' Advocate and Northumberland Recorder (1873-1876), the paper's founder was John Miller Sweet. It was originally published three times per week.
The Herald's ornate masthead, which included a sketch of a colliery pit-top, remained for 104 years. It was replaced in 1980 when the paper's name was shortened to Newcastle Herald.