Ron Edwards states that 'Two claims to authorship have been made for this song, one through the Bulletin
in 1885, which nominated a George Moran
as author, and another ... from an unmarked newspaper cutting which makes the claim for the surveyor, Thomas Townsend. There are indications that this cutting is from The Queenslander
of about 1895'. The Overlander Songbook p. 107.