Type of Media
Television and advertising
Access for Researchers
- Extensive collection of television programs and clips, mainly from the 1970s to the 1990s, on a variety of tape formats. Examples of highlights include:
- Variety and comedy shows, such as the "Don Lane Show" and the "Paul Hogan Show" from the 1970s, the "Mike Walsh Show", "Hey Hey it’s Saturday" and the "Midday Show" from the 1980s
- Talent shows, such as "Young Talent Time" from the 1980s
- Sports coverage of a range of events, such as the 1984 and 1988 Olympic and 1982 Commonwealth Games, Bathurst 1000 races (1981-1987), State of Origin and other football finals, City to Surf, etc., 1970s-1980s
- Documentaries such as "The Prophecies of Nostradamus" (1979) and "The World Around Us" (1980-1992)
- TV specials, mostly 1980s, such as Logie Awards, opening of new Parliament House, Bicentennial specials, Television station anniversaries, etc.
- Soaps and drama mini-series, e.g. "The Restless Years" and "A Town like Alice" (both 1981)
- News and current affairs from the different networks, 1970s-1990
- Children’s shows, e.g. "Simon Townsend’s Wonderworld" and "Play School", 1970s-1980s
- Music programs such as "Countdown", "Sounds" and "Bandstand" (1970s-1980s); "Do It" Beatles Special (1974); opera and classical music specials (1980s)
- Television commercials: large collection of classic Australian advertisements, 1950s-2000s
- Equipment: collection of film and video cameras and recorders from the 1960s onwards
Troy Walters is a collector of early Australian television material, which began with his wanting to find missing episodes of the ABC music program "Countdown". He has assisted the television networks and musicians with archives he has found and works with a network of like-minded collectors.
His "Countdown" website provides information on episodes of the program and on what he holds, as well as an indication of other programs he is collecting. His Vintage Video website lists his collection of video equipment and includes information on film and tape machines used over the years in Australia, as well as scans of newspaper articles and ads, brochures and catalogues relating to video recorders and cameras from the 1970s.
television, "Countdown", ABC, music, variety, sports, documentaries, news, current affairs, soaps, mini-series, children’s, commercials, equipment
Mr Troy Walters
Phone and Fax
Mobile +61 (0) 418 160 390
Website Link 1
Website Link 2